Hysterectomy is surgical removal of uterus. It ends menstruation and the ability to become pregnant. Depending on the reason for which this surgery is planned, it may involve removal of other organs and tissues in addition to the uterus. There are three primary modes through which this surgery can be performed.
- TOTAL ABDOMINAL HYSTERECTOMY (TAH) - In this procedure the uterus is removed through an incision in your abdomen. Due to this incision the post operative pain is more than that seen in the other two types of hysterectomy mentioned below. The patients can be discharged in 3-4 days.
- NON DESCENT VAGINAL HYSTERECTOMY (NDVH) - In this procedure the uterus is completely removed from vagina. It is less painful and comfortable for the patient and the post operative recovery is quick. The patients can be discharged in 1-2 days.
- LAPAROSCOPIC HYSTERECTOMY (LH) This is a combined procedure where laparoscopic route aids the removal of uterus vaginally, which would otherwise require an abdominal surgery. The post operative hospital stay is 1-2 days
- Robotic Hysterctomy-Using a robotic platform, we offer this hysterectomy in cases that are difficult to perform laparoscopically. This prevents excessive blood loss, conversion to open surgery. Escpecially indicated in endometrisiosis or large fibroids
THE COMMON INDICATIONS FOR HYSTERECTOMY ARE
- Cancer of cervix or body of uterus or ovary.
- Heavy periods/ menorrhagia
- Uterine prolapse
- Chronic pelvic pain
- We extensive experience in performing laparoscopic hysterectomy for the last 20years. All complex uterine problems including large fibroids, endometriosis, in women with previous multiple surgeries such as cesareans section and mesh surgery for hernia repair are dealt with laparoscopically. We are routinely performing such operations even in women who are morbidly obese. Especially in such women, the rapid recovery and short time of convalescence has a major impact on morbidity.
Non Descent Vaginal Hysterectomy
We perform hysterectomy entirely through the vagina. This prevents any scar in the abdomen thus giving the patient minimal pain and quick recovery. The hospital stay 48-72 hours in such surgeries.This is performed for DUB, fibroids, adenomyosis etc. Such surgery is possible even in women who have no prolapse and is actually the least invasive form of hysterectomy. Dr Rooma has conducted several live operative workshops on NDVH over the last 20years.
Was invited to operate at Raipur Medical College at the FOGSI North Zone Yuva Congress. Dr Rooma Sinha demonstrated urogynecological surgeries for the delegates and later also gave lecture on setting standards for caesarean Section.